[Sca-cooks] Saffron in Ireland

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jun 22 08:51:21 PDT 2004

Saffron was and can be grown in England. Saffron Walden and Cornwall
grew saffron
at various times.
There's no reason it couldn't have been
grown in Ireland as regards climate. [Ireland grows a surprising number
of  almost  tropical plants
in gardens, including a number not grown in England.]
But did they? Is it saffron the plant or saffron the color? Did they use
another
plants or plants to achieve the "saffron" yellow color?
This seems to be the question and that's been a bone of contention for
quite some time among various historians and Irish scholars and groups
like the SCA.

http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/saffrondye.html   suggests
they used
another plant  that produced a yellow saffron color.
http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/saffron.html is along these
lines.

Googling  produces   1,530 for saffron yellow
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://dictionary.reference.com/search%3Fq%3Dsaffron%2Byellow%26r%3D67>
color
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://dictionary.reference.com/search%3Fq%3Dcolor%26r%3D67>
ireland
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://dictionary.reference.com/search%3Fq%3Direland%26r%3D67>

I don't know that we are going to produce a definative answer or if
there is one.

Johnnae llyn Lewis