[Sca-cooks] long pepper?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 24 09:40:18 PDT 2004

Kathleen A. Roberts wrote:

> so.... having just won the al-barran midwinter bid (feed 300)...
> and living in the heart of chili-head-ania.....
>
> tell me more or where i can find more about long pepper?  and does it
> fit into 12th/13th cent euro food?   (christ-mass in the time of the
> troubadours)
>
> if i can give the chili heads a fix, so to speak, mebbe more will
> enjoy their medieval chow! 8)
>
> cailte

Comes from Africa originally, popular now in India and Thailand.  Pliny
mentions three kinds of pepper, black, white and Long so I think you are
safe enough with 12th Century.  A standard ingredient in Powder Forte
and Cameline Sauce, along with cubebs, grains of paradise, that kind of
non-capsicum peppery stuff.

Flavor is mildly musky with a slightly delayed... BITE!!  I'm thinking
of featuring it in a slow-roasted pork.  Think, Medieval Carnitas.

The spice merchants at Pennsic should carry it.  Or try a Indian or Thai
market.

Selene C.