[Sca-cooks] Blacksmith Cordial- was- Re: Long Peper

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Jun 24 12:01:50 PDT 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> OK, that was a question hook, wasn't it?  I'll bite that hook:  how do I
> make Blacksmith's Cordial?  Do I need real blacksmiths?  I could borrow
> Oso probably...
>
> Selene C.

It's pretty easy. Measure out equal amounts of cubebs, long pepper, grains
of paradise, mixed "normal peppercorns, and slice up that volume or more of
fresh ginger. Place in the bottom of a bottle, and fill the rest of the
bottle with a 50/50 mixture of brandy and vodka. Cap and let sit for at
least a week (a month is better).

Depending on how you want to do it, you can then decant and strain and
rebottle, or you can do as I've been, and drain and strain a bit off and
refill the bottle with more liquor- I've done both.

Can't really tell you total proportions, because it varies as to which
method you're usung- I used a 1/2 gallon vodka bottle, which might be a bit
more than you want.

Very tasty, but a bit warmer than most people like- I imagine there's a
couple people on this List who could tell you about it ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.