[Sca-cooks] Re:unusual plants

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Sun Jun 27 21:38:56 PDT 2004

On Jun 26, 2004, at 11:34 PM, Devra at aol.com wrote:
>         I went to an herb farm with some other SCAdians today, and
> bought
> sweet cecily and Good King Henry, as well as catnip (of course),
> spearmint,
> winter savory, some scented geraniums, and anise hyssop. Any
> suggestions about
> using the cecily, henry, and hyssop? (The cats have already told me
> how we're
> using the catnip....)

Don't know about the others, but hyssop shows up in all sorts of
recipes.  Here's a few:

[Liber cure cocorum]  Sawce madame. Take sawge, persoly, ysope,
saveray, Onyons gode, peres, garlek, I say, And grapes. go fille þy
gose þenne And sew þy hole, no grece oute renne. Lay hur to fyre and
rost hyr browne, And kepe þo grece þat falles doune. Take galingale and
þo grece þat renne, Do hit in posnet, as I þe kenne. Whenne þo gose is
rostyd, take hir away, Smyte hir in pesys, I þe pray. Þat is within,
þou schalle take oute, Kest in þy posnet with outene doute. 3if hit is
thyke do þerto wyne, And powder of galingale þat is fyne, And powder
dowce and salt also. Boyle alle togeder er þou fyr go, In a dysshe þy
gose þou close Þe sawce abofe, as I suppose.

[Le Menagier de Paris (Janet Hinson, trans.)]  NEW BEANS. Boil till
they split, then take plenty of parsley and a little sage and hyssop,
and grind very fine; and after this grind up some bread, and a handful
of these same beans which should be peeled and ground with the bread
for thickening, then put through a sieve: then fry the rest of your
beans in bacon fat, if this is a meat day, or in oil or butter, if this
is a fish day; then put your beans in meat stock, if this is a meat
day, or in the water from the beans, if this is a fish day.

[Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books]  Custarde. Take Vele, and smyte
hit in litull peces, and wass it clene; put hit into a faire potte with
faire water, and lete hit boyle togidre; then take parcelly, Sauge,
Isoppe, Sauerey, wass hem, hewe hem, And cast hem into fless whan hit
boileth; then take powder of peper, canel, Clowes, Maces, Saffron,
salt, and lete hem boyle togidre, and a goode dele of wyne wit all, And
whan the fless is boyled, take it vppe fro the brot, And lete the broth
kele. Whan hit is colde, streyne yolkes and white of egges thorgh a
streynour, and put hem to the brot, so many that the broth be styff
ynowe, And make faire cofyns, and couche iij. or iiij. peces of the
fless in the Coffyns; then take Dates, prunes, and kutte hem; cast
thereto powder of Gynger and a litull Vergeous, and put to the brot,
and salt; then lete the coffyn and the fless bake a litull; And then
put the brot in the coffyns, And lete hem bake till they be ynog.
[I've made this one and it's quite tasty - Doc]

[Le Viandier de Taillevent]  Mutton haricot. Take raw mutton, cut it
into small pieces, and fry it lightly in lard with some finely chopped
onions. Steep it in beef broth, add some wine, verjuice, mace, hyssop
and sage, and boil well together.

If you want the rest, or are looking for something more specific, let
me know and I'll see what I can dig up.

- Doc

  Edouard Halidai  (Daniel Myers)
  http://www.medievalcookery.com/