[Sca-cooks] Green Cheese, just like the moon is made of...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Jun 29 15:28:26 PDT 2004

Also sprach <kingstaste at mindspring.com>:
>I saw the most amazing cheese today.  It was called Sage Derby, and had
>vivid green streaks through it where you would expect to see bleu cheese
>veins.  Does anyone know anything about this?
>Christianna
>who is going to experiment with dairy for the first time in 7 years, giving
>goat/sheep feta, yogurt, and soft cheeses a try

Basically the sage juice (probably with some parsley juice or other
more stable green coloring than sage juice) is introduced just before
the curds (probably cooked but I forget) are pressed into the mold,
and the whole thing doesn't get aged for very long by cheese
standards. Just enough for the whole thing to become semi-homogeneous
as enzymes begin to break down the curd proteins...

If you think Sage Derby is fun, check out that striped Hunstman
cheese, made in layers of Cheshire (I think) and a Stilton-like Blue.

And my favorite weird English cheese, apart from the king, no
question, Stilton, is Shropshire Blue, which is basically a
blue-veined Cheddar.

Adamantius