[Sca-cooks] Green Cheese, just like the moon is made of...

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 29 17:45:53 PDT 2004

Dadgumit!  You've been to the Decalb Farber's Market.  Sage Derby is
delicious.
Mairi Ceilidh

> I saw the most amazing cheese today.  It was called Sage Derby

Yes, I am among the lucky that get to shop at "Your Dekalb Farmer's Market",
otherwise known as the 'International House of Produce' on a regular basis.
Now I know the likes of Adamantius will sniff at the thought of any fine
shopping outside of his home turf which appears to be the mecca of all
foods, but yes, here in the South we do have a few gems to select from.  The
DFM is a true melting pot of cultures and foodstuffs, and covers the space
of a couple of football fields easily.  My small basket this afternoon
included the goat/sheep dairy products, fresh chanterels, shiitake, and
oyster mushrooms, organic white-fleshed peaches, tapioca flour, kamut and
buckwheat noodles, fresh-squeezed carrot juice and pineapple/romaine/parsley
juice (yum), smoked salmon, lamb that was fresh ground for me (I'm making
dog food tonight) and various other green items.  I try and shop there once
every couple of weeks to keep my fresh vegetable selection interesting.
We've even done field trips there, I led a group of goslings and parents
around last year while we identified various foods and talked about what was
period for the SCA and what wasn't.  Almost every time I go I end up showing
someone how to select or prepare something, and/or run into someone I know
(although that didn't happen today, just to prove the point).
It's a very fun place, and I'm glad I get to do my regular shopping there :)
Christianna