[Sca-cooks] Le Viandier Spice Question

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 3 12:04:47 PST 2004

In a Spice message in Stefan's ever helpful resource, the
Florilegium, was a recipe for a Spice Powder. I have not copied the
original message, but the relevant parts are below.

Le Viandier de Taillevent
translated by James Prescott,  as quoted by Picon, p. 26
Section 222, Spice Powder
Grind ginger 4 parts, Cassia 3-1/2 parts nutmeg 2 parts pepper 1-1/2
parts, long pepper, cloves, grains of paradise and galingale 1 part
each.

I realize there are a number of different editions out there. I have
the translation of Le Viandier in Cariadoc's Cookbook Collection, but
it doesn't have section numbers, and i'm not finding the spice powder
- could be right there and i'm just not seeing it.

So what is Picon? Is this referring to the Picon edition of Le
Menagier? Is there a Picon edition of Taillevent? Or a Picon article
published elsewhere?

Does anyone have this resource in its original form? I would like to
include it in my "Fine Spice" documentation, but i'd like to verify
the source. Our event is in on Saturday March 12, so i doubt there's
time for me to purchase a copy of another edition.

Thanks for any assistance,

Anahita