[Sca-cooks] Poudre Forte and Other Spicy Thoughts

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 11 19:21:31 PST 2004

First, I'm polishing up my documentation for the Fine Powder
competition Saturday. I wandered through the bowels of the
UC-Berkeley library last night and found a seventh recipe within
period and an interesting recipe called A Spice Powder for Patissiers
in _Le patissier francois_ by LaVarenne from 1652 that is BIG on
pepper with other spices added (the ones typical for Poudre Fine).
There's even a spiced salt - you make the spice powder up and mix it
with an equal quantity of salt.

So now my paper is a whole page longer - now it's seven pages - sigh,
and i was trying to make it shorter (and it's single spaced and in 9
point Palatino, so i've got it set up as small as i can :-) I've got
a couple introductory paragraphs, seven recipes in their original
languages with their translations, a couple alternate translations of
two of them, some commentary on them, a chart comparing the
ingredients and recipes at a glance, a conclusion, with an "epilogue"
of the LaVarenne recipe and a bibliography that completely fills one
whole page (and which includes the names of several people on this
list for their personal help).

I thought it was odd that the recipes for spice powders from 1555 and
1607 both included long pepper, which i thought was out of fashion by
that time. If this thought of mine is right, then i would suspect the
recipes were copied from an older cookbook. Additionally, both
recipes use both "round pepper" and long pepper.

Second, now i've been thinking about Poudre Forte... Besides the
recipe in the Anonymous Venetian cookbook, reproduced in Redon,
Sabban, and Serventi, are there other period recipes for Poudre Forte?

LXXV.  Specie Negre e Forte per Assay Savore.
Specie negre e forte per fare savore; toy mezo quarto de garofali e
do onze de pevere e toy arquanto pevere longo e do noce moscate e fa
de tute specie.

LXXV.  A Strong Black Spice for Enough Sauces.
A black and strong spice for making sauces; take half a quarter of
cloves and two ounces of pepper and take as much of long pepper and
two nutmegs and make of all a spice.

Ludovico Frati, ed., Libro di Cucina del Secolo XIV, Livorno:
Raffaello Giusti, Editore, 1899, p. 40.

Third, i have a fondness for Cubebs, although the ones i get now are
nowhere near as delicious as the ones i got in the mid-1970s.  Do any
spice blends call for cubebs or are they usually added on their own?

Anahita