[Sca-cooks] Re: [EK] recipe suggestions?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 13 06:43:40 PST 2004

Jadwiga wondered:
>  > Hey, what about that classic from Simple Faire - hroed groed mit frydd?
>  > (I *think* that's how it's spelled)
>  > It's Icelandic for "red berries with cream" - which tells you all you need
>  > to know about it.
>  > Take red berries - strawberries, raspberries, loganberries, lingonberries,
>  > etc. - and beat them to a mush with cream - heavy cream, sour cream,
>  > whipping cream, brylcreem, etc.
>
>Hm.. anyone know if this recipe is documented anywhere?

Rødgrød med Fløde - Red Berry Pudding with Cream
is Danish, as far as i can tell. (If you can't
see the characters, each is the letter "o" with a
slash through it) I found this recipe on the web
- i edited it a little and added a
comment/question. Also, it's pretty clearly
modern (potato starch or corn starch). I found
many references to this on Danish web sites,
which i couldn't read...

Rødgrød med Fløde - Red Berry Pudding with Cream
6 servings

4 cups red currants-- traditional but hard to
come by, so one can substitute fresh or frozen
strawberries and/or raspberries
[Anahita notes: maybe even lingonberries would
work - aren't they like tiny relatives of
American cranberries?]
3 cups water
1 cup sugar
 cup potato starch (or substitute cornstarch)
ˆ cup cold water
Small amount of sugar for sprinkling
Cream, as desired

Put water and berries in a pot. Bring to a boil
and cook until the seeds separate from the fruit.
Strain through cheesecloth or a fine sieve.
Pour the red berry juice back into the pot and return to a boil.
Add sugar, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
In a small bowl, mix the potato starch with cold water until it is syrupy/
Add it to the berry juice, constantly stirring.
As soon as it thickens, remove from the heat and
pour into individual glass dishes.
Sprinkle with sugar to prevent a skin from forming.
Let cool.
Top with whipped cream.