[Sca-cooks] Penn State Center for Medieval Studies Conference

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Mar 15 06:25:05 PST 2004

Ok, I may regret this, because I'm autocrating an artisan exhibition event
in the East Kingdom the same weekend and I want to see as many people as
possible attend, but y'all might be interested in:

Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA
Center for Medieval Studies
2004 Spring Conference
Wind & Water: the Medieval Mill
http://www.psu.edu/dept/medieval/2004conference.htm

CONFERENCE SPEAKERS

Kirk Ambrose, Art History, University of Colorado at Boulder
"The 'Mystic Mill' Capital at Vézelay"

Steven Bashore, Miller, Stratford Mill, Stratford, VA
"Development and Technological Advancements in Wind and Water Mills"

Niall Brady, History & Archaeology , Discovery Programme, Dublin, Ireland
"Water and its uses in Late Medieval Ireland, with particular reference to
mills and milling in the hinterland of Dublin City"

Thomas Glick, History, Boston University
"Mills and Millers in Medieval Valencia: The Wheat-Flour-Bread Cycle in
the Fifteenth Century"

Mark Horton, Archaeology, University of Bristol
"The Medieval Mill as a Forerunner of the Industrial Revolution"

Janet Loengard, Professor Emerita, Medieval English Legal History ,
Moravian College
"Lords' Rights and Neighbours' Nuisances: Mills and Medieval English Law"

Adam Lucas, History of Technology, University of New South Wales,
Australia
"Monastic innovation or monastic oppression? The role of the monasteries
in the development of powered milling in medieval England"

Roberta Magnusson, History, University of Oklahoma
"Public and Private Urban Hydrology: Water Management in Medieval London"

D. Fairchild Ruggles, Landscape Architecture, University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign
"Waterwheels and Garden Gizmos: Technology and Illusion in Islamic
Landscape"

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"It is no use telling me that there are bad aunts and good aunts.
At the  core, they are all alike. Sooner or later, out pops the
cloven hoof." -- P.G. Wodehouse, _The Code of the Woosters_