[Sca-cooks] Re: Rosemary

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Mar 1 16:49:21 PST 2004

>What with all this discussion on n rosemary, I went to her on saturday and
>she gave me a cutting.  It is in water now and I hope it will take root.
>Has anyone tried to root a cutting and grow a plant from it?

Propagation by cuttings is the more successful method, May or June
being the best         time. Take a 7.5cm (3in) cutting from young
shoots either just below a leaf joint or torn off at the stem (trim
but don't remove entirely the 'heel' of the cutting). Place the
cutting in normal potting compost in a 7.5cm (3in) pot, water from
below and place in a propagator or plastic bag. A temperature of 15C
to 20C is needed for the cuttings to root (windowsill out of direct
sunlight is ideal). They can be transplanted to their permanent
position in 8 weeks time.
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_july_3_rosemary.asp

>I was offered some Aloe Vera this morning. That is a New World plant, correct?

Aloe Vera is an old world plant... probably from Africa
http://www.aloeria.co.uk/html/body_aloe_vera_history.html