[Sca-cooks] RE: Viking Clay Mold Casting classes

JAMES REVELLS sudnserv5 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 2 21:21:53 PST 2004

Hej!
    There are pictures up at (
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Metalcasting/files/Olaf%27s%20Casting%20Classes%20at%20Penn/)
of the classes I did at the SPCA camp last year.  Yes, period for the Norse
culture is a side draft forge with a double bellows (2 bellows side by
side).  Most significant find in the way of forge hardware are stones that
the bellows pipe sticks through.  Many are carved with the face, presumably
that of the god of the forge.  I am not sure what the various nomadic tribes
did, I tend to stick close to home-Birka in the 9th century is where I am
concentrating my research on.
    The notes will get done as I am finishing the forge & test it out.  One
of the requirements of telling people how to do some thing is doing it first
yourself.  After I do that I will send you the notes.  I also plan to work
on a couple of more projects, doing granulation with period methods & tools
& seeing if my idea about how the Gottlandish burning glasses were made
works out.
Pax,
Olaf