[Sca-cooks] Food paintings

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 3 09:10:26 PST 2004

Are you looking for vessels that are specifically named...like the
reference in the "Garnished Turnips" recipe in the Neopolitan Recipe
Collection, "...lay out these slices in a torte pan in layers..." or for
descriptions, like "... take a pot that should be a bit large and made
of clay, with a flat bottom,..."  from de Nola?  And are you just
looking for vessels or for things like wooden spatulas, colanders or
graters, etc.?

Kiri

Hmm, good questions.  Both, I think, as long as the description is specific
enough.  For that matter, just having the name of the type of dish may not
be descriptive enough, so having other recipes that flesh out the details
will be useful as well.  At this point, since I'm working on this project
with a potter, I'm only interested in vessels that are made from pottery, so
wooden utensils and metal pots are out, although there are several
references, paintings and evidence of pottery collanders.
Christianna