[Sca-cooks] Le Viandier Spice Question

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 5 09:53:22 PST 2004

Thorvald,

I really really really appreciate receiving the
original French. Unfortunately, diacritical marks
don't come through in e-mail very well. I can
figure out several of them, but since this is in
a somewhat archaic French (1607), i'm not sure
which marks are in the following words - please
write the name of the mark. I understand which
words they represent, but i'm not sure of the
archaic spelling.

James Prescott wrote:
>Calicuth o˜

(in this case it's the second word - i see "o [carat]"

>mille lieuÎs."

(in this case i see "lieu[capital I circumflex]s")

Thanks,

Anahita