[Sca-cooks] Re: Rosemary

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 06:18:03 PST 2004

>Angharad mentioned:
> >>>>
>What with all this discussion on n rosemary, I went to her on saturday and
>she gave me a cutting.  It is in water now and I hope it will take root.
><<<<
>Oh! Does this mean you should take a shoot (from any plant? from Rosemary?)
>and let it sprout in water before transferring it to a pot of soil?
>
>I bought my previous herbs as seedlings already growing in the little
>pastic, square pots they sell them in. But I do remember putting potatoes
>and carrots and such in water to get them to sprout, as a kid.
>

>Has anyone tried to root a cutting and grow a plant from it?
><<<<
>Maybe Angharad is asking a similar question. Does putting it in the water
>give the plant a headstart? Or does putting the shoot in the soil do as
>well?
>
>I was offered some Aloe Vera this morning. That is a New World plant,
>correct?
>
>Stefan

Actually, if you just stick the (bottom) end of the cutting in some stuff
called "Root Tone" and stick it in the ground or a pot then the rosemary
should simply start growing and putting forth roots.  I don't believe I've
ever seen anyone put it in water to root.  Make sure you have the right type
of soil for the plant, as with every plant.
Olwen