[Sca-cooks] Nef revisited

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Mar 10 12:24:53 PST 2004

At 12:03 PM 3/10/2004, you wrote:

>OK, so where did I get the idea that it was a salt cellar? A boat-shaped
>salt cellar. I seem to recall a golden one by one of the Italian
>Renaissance master goldsmiths...lost the name...old age strikes again. And
>I thought I had seen it referred to as a "nef".

The name is Cellini, Benevento Cellini. And I have most frequently seen
'nef' as referring to a ship-shaped salt cellar, but also as a repository
for small dishes and silverware.

Where I can't tell you at the moment- my brain is occupied elsewhere and I
haven't enough memory to access the infomation ;-)

'Lainie
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president ... right or
wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to
the American public." -- Teddy Roosevelt, 1918