[Sca-cooks] Winter Squash

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 10 19:28:05 PST 2004

Pumpkin was used prior to 1492 to refer to gourds of genus Lagenaria,
probably some of the basket gourds similar in size to the New World pumpkin.

New World squash appear in Leonard Fuchs Herbal of 1543 and they were
probably in use in Europe even earlier.  Late 16th Century Italian paintings
show a number of different New World squash so they were probably readily
available by then.

Bear