[Sca-cooks] cooks-list

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Mar 13 14:50:30 PST 2004

At 12:57 PM 3/13/2004, you wrote:
>my e-mail is captaincuisine at yahoo.com. I enjoy preparing food in the
>medieval style. I am a professional Chef, and have read, and cooked, in
>the medieval style. I would like to have some advice about some of the
>tableside manners from the medieval age.
>Thank you, Adam

Well, here's a start- the bibliography from my serving handout:

A Generall Rule to teche every man that is willynge for to lerne, to serve
a lorde of mayster in every thyng to his plesure. Edited by R.W.
Chambers,  a XVth c. MS in the British Museum (MS Addl. 37969)
(Published as A Fifteenth-Century Courtesy Book by the Early English Text
Society, London, 1914)

         Book of Curtasye. (Sloane MS. 1986, British     Museum. c. 1460.)

         Boke of Kervynge. Wynkyn de Worde, printed      in London, 1513.

and

         Ffor to serve a lord.  (15th c English text)
may be found in:

Early English meals and manners : John Russell's Boke of nurture, Wynkyn de
Worde's Boke of keruynge, The boke of curtasye, R. Weste's Booke of
demeanor, Seager's Schoole of vertue, The babees book, Aristole's A B C,
Urbanitatis, Stans puer ad mensam, The lytylle childrenes lytil boke, For
to serve a lord, Old Symon, The birched school_boy, &c., with some
forewords on education in early England / Edited by Frederick J. Furnivall
  Publisher London : Pub. for the Early English Text Society by Kegan Paul,
Trench, Trübner & Co., 1868, reprinted 1894

Boke of Kervynge is also available on-line at:
http://milkmama.tripod.com/kervynge2.html

         There is a second copy of the Sloane MS 1986 text, edited by James
O. Halliwell, and printed in London by the Percy Society, in 1916. The body
of the text in both editions is identical.

The picture referred to in note 41 may be found in:

Fast and Feast, by Bridget Ann Henisch (Penn State, 1976) pg 167.

Look for "Early English Meals and Manners_- it is not just hte one text
I've cited, but a number of them. Keep looking. Hassle your librarian and
use ILL with great abandon. And feel free to contact me on or off list. I'm
happy to help.

'Lainie