[Sca-cooks] Candy question, mostly...

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Mar 15 16:36:56 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Sugar's an interesting beast.  Any time I read about candy techniques
> I'm reminded of nothing so much as forge metallurgy.  The range of
> different effects you can get from one basic substance just by varying
> how hot you get it and how you let it cool afterwards is amazing.
>
> -Lorenz

Yeah- that's why my initial thought as far as making the fudge a bit harder,
is to let it cook a bit beyond the soft ball stage- but, just as with steel,
where different material content, such as iron, carbon, and inclusions may
change the characteristics of the final product, I thought I'd phrase my
question as I did to see if, perhaps, a bit more or less of sugar, cocoa,
butter, vanilla, or whatever might make a difference in the solidity of the
final candy.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well
please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the
consequences. -- P. J. O'Rourke