[Sca-cooks] Almond milk question

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 16 14:50:44 PST 2004

You're going to blanch, squib (my word for squishing all the skins off of
your newly blanched almonds), then grind - I do this in a food processor or
blender, but you can do it in a big mortar and pestle if you're game, adding
water as you grind.  Then you will strain the ground almonds through a
coarse strainer, use the refuse and more water and grind again.  1 pound of
almonds will yield about 1 gallon of milk, and you are adding water to
accomplish that.  When you have watered, ground and strained all of the
almonds 4-6 times, the almond waste tastes like sawdust, all the flavor,
oil, and some solids are in the fluid.  I know some folks that use the
leftovers in soap for a nice exfoliant, but they aren't good for much else
that I know of.  If you are going on to almond 'butter' or 'cheese', you
will boil the milk and then pour it through a cheesecloth.  The fluid that
drains out is clearer (like whey), and the residue in the cloth will clump
together when squeezed like a soft cream cheese or farmer's cheese.
Does that answer your question?
Christianna