[Sca-cooks] More on long pepper, cubebs, and such....

drakey at webone.com.au drakey at webone.com.au
Thu Mar 18 14:23:56 PST 2004

Philp,

This 'titbit' for Gene Anderson is fantastic.  I've slowly been infusing
passion in Mongol Cookery amongst a few people here in Australia. Thanks
ever so for posting it...

a) Are there now any other translated sources for pre-1650 asian food now
available apart from YSCY, CFHR, and Paul Buells few recipes from his paper
on the Turkicization of Mongol Food and Foodways? I've been out of the loop
for a bit.

b) There is a mention of description of a Siam dish in a 17th cent
travellers journal (I'll have to look the source up when I'm at home), do
we have any more info on pre-1650ish south east asian cookery?

c)  Many members of the Zingiberaceae family (Ginger, Galingale, Krachai
and others) are used in traditional thai recipes for single sources of
'heat'.  The last dish I redacted from YSCY (last week), Deboned chicken
Morsels used fresh ginger and sprouting ginger juice and was quite bitey...
There was Flower Pepper in the dish but not enough to make a difference.
Was there a reason why Gene didn't mention Ginger below?  I'm assuming
either ginger wasn't relevant in his response or ginger was a minor player
in the 'heat' stakes???

d)  Gene mentions Mugwort here. I assume he's not talking  about Artemesia
Vulgaris here?  What species is he referring to?

e) I've got some dried Smartweed root (Polygonum ???) and have access to as
much Rau Ram (grows like a weed in Canberra) as I want.  Which is more
appropriate to use?  Specifically, I'm planning on attempting the Mung Bean
Wine recipe (treating it as a poorly written mashing recipe as opposed to a
leaven recipe as Sabban suggests). Which part of the plant should I be
using?

And I've made a big assumption with that recipe, that Tui Sha aromatic wood
is Sandalwood.  Would I be right there?

There's also a piper species that is native to West Africa that I suspect
was used in cooking.  Again, the info for that is at home...  Some Piper
spp. are also native to Australia so I guessing you could draw a short bow
to a conclusion that Piper spp. are native to most moist, tropical old
world areas...

I suspect some of the reasons why chillies have overtaken pepper in that
part of the world is that they are easier to prepare (chopping as opposed
to grinding) and that chillis are very easy to propagate (happy in poor
soil and little water) and grow as part of a cottage garden, fruit for a
large part of the year, not too many plants required, and increased
self-reliance.  I've travelled to parts of Thailand where when the going
got tough, the diet was rice (always white), fish sauce, and chilli and
some vegetables if they were lucky...  Just ideas... I don't pretend to be
an expert in the field of asian food, just a hack who likes to eat...

Cheers,

Drake.