[Sca-cooks] Re: A Period Orchard

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Mar 21 08:20:52 PST 2004

Akim wrote:

> > I have located some new sources of extremely rare period fruit trees (I
> have to have them custom grafted though). I think that the source even has
> > found a living tree of the thought-to-be extinct British 12th century
> > Costard apples. It would be wonderfully educational to have an
> > orchard full of these period varieties. Eventually, perhaps I could even
> > begin grafting them myself for fruit tree sales to the SCA. > > ---

I have a suggestion that I suspect has occurred to someone at some point but
has enough potential merit to be mentioned now, why not try for a grant for
the propagation and preservation of rare and historical domestic plants?
I'm no grant writer but I'm sure that there are some within the Society who
would find it an engaging enterprise to try and obtain such.  What with more
and more varieties becoming rare and disappearing there is IIRC a growing
movement toward the preservation of genetic stock.  I can think of several
places in this country that might be contacted which might have information
on what grants are available and/or might be willing to share varieties; Old
Sturbridge Village, Colonial Williamsburg, etc.  Grants are obtained both
from federal and state agencies as well as private corporations both for
profit and non-profit and run a spectrum from narrow to rather broad.

Regards the use of the the harvest, it might make for a rather interesting
cottage industry to use the results in preparing for sale fruit conserves
made according to period recipes.  IIRC there is a gourmet market in such as
well as rare produce raised organically.   A little market research might
turn up opportunities.

Daniel