[Sca-cooks] Cilantro Potaje

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 24 13:02:49 PST 2004

Vicki Shaw wrote:
>Sounds like a lovely thing this potaje but is there a redaction for it?
>Like how much of the ingredients and can one really use wool to sift ground
>nuts?

Well, the point of the "mini-events" that Cariadoc and Betty host is
to work out the recipes - i.e., create a redaction. I sent the
original recipe with my original message and that's what Halima was
working from. What she worked out was not entirely successful. That
is why i was asking about it on the list.

I don't have what she did written down. However, Duke Cariadoc
meticulously typed into his computer everyone's list of ingredients
and quantities, as well as the process involved.

I've been meaning to ask him or Betty to send me mine. I thought it
was yummy - it was a chicken recipe from the Anon. Andalusian
cookbook. I didn't get a printout, although i think i remember the
basic process and my ingredients, although not the quantities i used,
but i think i could recreate it.

The chicken was cooked in a puree of onion, cilantro, and spices. The
breast into meatballs - i used the breast raw, but the recipe could
be interpreted as using the breasts cooked, although that doesn't
seem logical to me. When the chicken is pretty much done, the
meatballs are added to the sauce and cooked until just about done,
then the dish is dotted with egg yolks, which cook in the sauce, and
a blend of egg whites, ground walnuts, and saffron is poured over the
stuff and cooked until done...

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
>  I sent a long and detailed reply to the list last night, and it never
>  appeared.  Here is a briefer version.
SNIP

You sent it directly to me. If you like, i can forward it to the
list. I found your information extremely helpful. I'll forward it to
Halima.

I am afraid i am not a literalist when dealing with Medieval and
Renaissance recipes. I couple my knowledge of modern cooking, my
experience eating all manner of foreign food, and my experience
cooking much of said foreign food, to my interpretation and cooking
of Med/Ren recipes. I suspect that we all do this to some extent,
since in many of the recipes processes are left out, processes are
not always given in the correct order, quantities are often not
given, etc. I try not to interpret from an entirely modern American
point of view - i try not to let my modern "expectations" get in the
way -and i think mine are mitigated very much by much experience with
a lot of foreign cuisines - so that, for example, the idea of adding
cinnamon to a meat dish never seemed at all strange to me. But i also
know that interpreting the recipes literally will lead to many
problems.

Halima was trying to be as literal as possible and added the small
amount of water very reluctantly when it was apparent beyond all
doubt that the recipe was not going to produce any liquid to speak of.

Anahita