Peer meeting contribs was Re: [Sca-cooks] SPICED RUM!?!

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 24 15:37:55 PST 2004

> --- Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:
> Since mine
> > was a surprise elevation (and an odd one at
> > that! <g>), I'm trying to
> > work out something in reverse.  Involving
> > different kinds of "fish"
> > food.  I'd especially like to work out some
> > sort of subtlety or "faux"
> > food--like Olwen's shrimp, maybe?
> > In addition to the Jameson's, of course....
> > --maire, who likes your idea of feeding people
> > <g>

One of our local favorites is: fritters in the shape of fishes,
affectionately nicknamed "fish newtons".  we usually also score the
"fins" for detail and add a clove eye.
Faerisa

Fritters in the Shape of Fishes
Redaction courtesy of Lady Ann-Marie and Count Gunthar (found in
Stephen's Floreligium)

To make fritters like fishes: [Epilario, #232] Blanch thy almonds [here
is a transcription error about adding chopped fish. It's not in the
original Italian] and stampe together with Currans, Sugar, Parsely and
Margerum chopped small with good spice and saffron, then have in a
readinesse a fine paste, and making it in what forme you wil you may
fill them with this composition, then frie them in oile: they make
likewise be baked dry in a frying pan, and when they are baked, they
will shew like fishes.

Make a batch of your favorite shortbread cookie dough, or use
refrigerated sugar cookie dough.
(We opted for shortbread instead, to allow us to bake it directly in the
cast iron fish molds I'd found.  However, I believe it would probably be
closer to the "fine pastry" recipe in All the King's Cook's by Peter
Brears, as described in the recipe for peascods.)

Filling:
     1 c. blanched almonds
     1/2 c each raisins and currants
     1 c powdered sugar
     3 T dry marjoram, or 1 T fresh
     1/2 c. fresh parsley
     4 threads of saffron
     1 tsp "good spice", ie a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, etc

Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, and blend
until the stuff begins to stick together.  Makes 2c. filling.  Roll out
the pastry dough, and cut out shapes. Fish shapes are appropriate. Place
a dollop of filling on the bottom crust, cover with a top crust, and
seal the edges with a fork dipped in water. Bake at 375o for 10-15 min,
or until lightly brown.