[Sca-cooks] Me, was Eskimo ice cream

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 08:16:03 PST 2004

--- Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Huette,
> Good to hear from you again...I have missed
> your incredible sense of
> humor!  How are you...and how are things with
> you?
>
> Kiri

Thank you!

Well ... Since my mother's stroke last April,
things have changed in my life.  When we got her
home last Sept., we had to hire a caregiver to be
with her while my brother and I were at work at
the cost of $2000 per month.  He and I take care
of her after we get home.  Unfortunately, because
she has been unable to get up out of bed or from
a chair without some assistance, caring for her
at night has been a problem as she doesn't sleep
through the night.  Consequently, my sleep has
been interrupted every two or three hours, making
it very difficult for me to get up in time to get
to work on time.  And although I have worked at
the same library for 19 years with a spotless
record, my employers have been less than
understanding about my changed circumstances.
So, rather than wait for them to terminate me as
they have been threatening to do, I announced,
two weeks ago, that I would be retiring as of May
1st of this year.  I decided that it would be
better to do a preemptive strike rather than wait
for the inevitable.  Although I am only 52, I
discovered that the public retirement system that
I am part of will allow me to retire with full
health benefits, but with reduced pension pay.
So I decided to retire to take care of my mother,
thus eliminating the need to pay for a caregiver.
So, as of May 1, I will become a retired person
and a full-time caregiver.

Also, my maiden aunt, who had Alzheimers and whom
I had been helping care for, died last January,
and I am the trustee/executor of her will.  So
that has been keeping me preoccupied also lately.

Because of all the stress that I have been under
lately, I have been catching all the current
colds and flues that have been spreading lately.
Last week, I had a worse cough than Lainies, with
10 minute coughing jags and 102.2 temperature.
Fortunately, my fever has abated, although I
still am coughing occasionally.  But I am
surviving.

I don't mean to sound gloomy.  I don't feel
gloomy.  Since my retirement announcement, a lot
of the stress that I have been feeling has
dissipated and I am hoping that once I am rested
up and enjoying not having to go to work that I
will be able to do creative things in between
caring for my mother.  I think that life for me
will be improving, although I will have to be
more careful with my finances.

So, enough about me, we have Naugas to save!

BOYCOTT CRISCO!  SAVE THE NAUGAS!

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.