[Sca-cooks] fruit flies/now ants

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Fri Mar 26 17:23:08 PST 2004

I have found, and also learned in restaurant service from old timers,
that the little six legged friends don't like pungent things, such as
some spices (capsium, pepper, ginger, etc). Garlic works, too, as does
rosemary. I've even made insect repellent for bodily use out of black
pepper and pine needles stewed into a 'tea' and sprayed on. This was in
Siberia and it worked. I actually saw a mosquito land on my sleeve,
crawl onto my bare skin, turn around and crawl back to the sleeve,
poking around for an opening. Seems he wasn't into spicy food.

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at jeffnet.org