[Sca-cooks] recipe using portabela mushrooms?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Mar 29 13:48:27 PST 2004

Also sprach jah at twcny.rr.com:
>Hello :)
>
>I was wondering if anyone would have any period recipes or
>references that would use Portabella
>mushrooms?
>
>please e-mail directly back to me if you do :)
>
>thanks!
>
>Jules/Mistress Catalina

IIRC, portobellos aren't even a unique variety, let alone a unique
species. I'll have to do some digging into books, but my recollection
is that portobellos are large specimens of the crimini mushroom, and
closely related to our standard white champignon or button mushroom.

I think they begun to be cultivated post-period, and don't really
occur wild, as such.

Adamantius