[Sca-cooks] Me, was Eskimo ice cream

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 09:05:32 PST 2004

Even smaller world is that my mundane first name
is Patricia.

My mother received several hand-wrought aluminum
trays as wedding gifts in 1947.  I love those so
much, that whenever in the past thirty years she
has tried giving them away, I forestall her.
Since I started thriftstoring, I have picked up
a whole lot more for fifty cents to a dollar.
Although that is becoming a rarer find.  I now
am finding more at flea markets and antique
stores.  I have seen a lot on eBay, but the
prices there become too inflated too fast for my
taste.

I only use them for buffets now where they can be
overseen, mostly because of a banquet I did a
long time ago, where I was using cheap
99centstore trays [these were metal trays that
looked silver, not the aluminum foil disposable
trays], and several came back with holes in them.
 I think that this was because I had had whole
chickens on them, but in order to punch holes in
the trays, a whole lot of force had to be used.
I decided from that banquet on I would never use
trays that I had an emotional attachment to where
I couldn't control who did what to it.  The holey
trays got quickly discarded and replaced.  I
would have cried if that had happened to any of
my wrought aluminum trays.

Huette

--- Patricia Collum <pjc2 at cox.net> wrote:
> Hey, I collect hand-wrought aluminum, too!
> Small world... I've used it to
> serve non-reactive foods at feasts a couple of
> times.
>
> Cecily

=====
shall never cease to be amused.