[Sca-cooks] herb question

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 09:22:11 PST 2004

--- Maggie MacDonald <maggie5 at cox.net> wrote:
> At 01:39 PM 3/29/2004,jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
> said something like:
>

> >Um... Not Lavendar-- that blooms in the
> spring.
> >
> >I would wonder about harvesting either
> Rosemary or Thyme so close to
> >winter. Maybe parsley or other green herbs?
> >
> >July-August (specifically from the feast of
> John the Baptist to the
> >Festival of the Acension) is the prime time to
> harvest herbs.
>
> Maybe it is just that I live in a weird area,
> but my rosemary blooms almost
> year round. I have a sea level Mediterranean
> type environment. It's never
> too terribly hot (for long), nor is it ever too
> terribly cold.

My rosemary blooms year round too and I live
just north of you in the San Gabriel valley, east
of Los Angeles.  The main difference is that San
Diego, where you live, is a pretty even climate,
as you say, not too hot and not too cold.  Where
I live it doesn't get too cold, but it does get
rather hot from time to time.

 I can get
> the thyme to last for 2+ years, but so far I've
> always killed it after that
> period of time.  The lavender has never lasted
> more than 3-4 months, so I
> must not have found the ideal sunshine/dry/wet
> place for them.

My lavender is right next to my rosemary.  They
both get morning shade, full mid-afternoon sun
and late afternoon shade.  I keep cutting them
down and they both keep coming back.  At this
moment, they both are about three feet tall and
in diameter.  I need to cut them back again soon,
or they will start ruling my garden.  I planted
them to keep gophers away from my irises, which
they are accomplishing, but I never expected them
to go from a three inch twig from the nursery to
a three foot bush in one year!  Now, I have to
keep hacking away at them just to keep them from
becoming trees!

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.