[Sca-cooks] Arms, was Mairi Ceilidh

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 11:19:10 PST 2004

Your device (or arms, if you've been awarded arms in one manner or
another [Award, Grant or Patent]) represents your personal presence. To
me, that means that the only time my arms are seen/used is when I am
personally present or if I give permission for them to be used. On the
other hand, my badge is used to signify a relationship with me. It is
worn by my students, on their belts. It is on my dinnerware, and any
other items that I wish to mark as mine. Heraldically, they are somewhat
different as well. Devices usually have a background, or field. They
typically are a little more complex than a badge. In the SCA, they must
differ from another device by two points (consult your local herald for
a definition of this...it's too complex to go into here). A badge, on
the other hand, typically and historically does not have a field,
although in the SCA it can. It is usually simpler than a device, and
needs to differ from another piece of heraldry by only 1 point. If you
wish to register a fieldless badge, then it must consist of a single,
unified charge. By that I mean that, if there are several elements, they
must somehow be physically connected. For example, I couldn't register a
cauldron with a pair of crossed spoons above it. But I could register a
pair of crossed spoons surmounted by a cauldron...if it didn't conflict
with another piece of heraldry.

Here ends Kiri's short lesson on heraldry!

Sorry, folks!

Kiri