[Sca-cooks] Arms, was Mairi Ceilidh

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 11:28:38 PST 2004

I am not a herald, nor do I play one in the SCA, but I have investigated
some aspects of heraldry (plus I worked in one of those tourist Heraldry
Shoppes for a few years and had to be versed).  Anyway, I was glad to see
that Selene jumped in with the correct uses of COA and Badge.  The deal with
the badge is that it can be something completely different than any item in
your COA.  If you have a rabbit in your Arms, you could conceivably have and
ax on your badge.  If you look at a picture of a hemeted and mantled COA you
can see a device sitting atop the helm, that is usually the registered
badge, in this case referred to as the Crest.  At least that is what I was
taught.

In my case, I have a very simple COA and I did choose to use the same comet
on the same background for my badge as well.  I was totally in agreement
with you, AEllin, for the longest time.  Now I have a Heraldic surcoate, a
banner cut out of leather and glued together, a tablecloth with my badge in
the making and soon after a couple of folding chair covers to match.  Then
onto cooler covers.  You know, the coolers where I keep my FOOD (OFC)
Olwen