[Sca-cooks] Arms, and food applications

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Tue Mar 30 14:50:15 PST 2004

Without going into great detail about arms and badges (the gist being
arms= you personally, and badges/livery = your property and staff),
there is a useful web article by Mistress Elizabeth Braidwood in An Tir
about medieval flags (banners, etc) at

http://www.kwantlen.bc.ca/~donna/sca/flags/

I assume there are similar articles around the other kingdoms. And I'll
just make the comment that most SCA banners are closer to
Italian/eclesiastical gonfalons (hanging from a vertical crossbar,
suspended on a vertical pole) without the streamers than medieval
banners (vertical rectangles or squares with the dexter side flown from
a vertical pole.

It would also be an appropriate use of armoury in food to colour the
food with the livery colours of that person or branch you wish to
honour. The one example I thought of was serving the King of the West a
roast of venison upon a bed of two frumente's, one coloured with saffron
and the other with green herbs. While I might pattern the frumente per
pale, quarterly, chequey, barry, etc, I might refrain from arranging the
frumente (ala sand painting) in the arms of the West. Unless you want to
suggest serving a roast of meat upon the King of the West himself, since
arms and their owner are pretty much one and the same. You could,
perhaps, colour pastry and make a pie coffin lid with the arms of the
honoree, especially if you presented the pie and then (somewhat
ceremoniously) removed the lid to serve the contents.

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at jeffnet.org
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)