[Sca-cooks] Arms, was Mairi Ceilidh

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 30 23:20:43 PST 2004

AEllin commented:
> Oh, I've had all that explained - I just don't paint, applique or
> embroider. Least, not if I can help it... The herald working on this
> with me knows my major requirement is that I can draw them with
> drafting
> tools... otherwise they'll never be used for anything.
Yep. If I were to do my device over, I might pick a strictly geometric
shape rather than a ram's head, for exactly that same reason. I keep
reusing the diagram in the heraldry book (Fox-Davies, perhaps) in which
I first found it and enlarging and copying it as needed.
> LOL! That, and
> that they be sort of kind of nearly appropriate for my persona,
> ignoring
> the fact that my persona wouldn't have them anyway, but we won't go
> there... *EG*
If this is because your persona is too earlier or from  a culture that
didn't do heraldry, perhaps this file might be of interest:
heraldry-tips-msg  (9K)  9/28/95    SCA heraldry for cultures that
didn't have
                                       heraldry.
> I did ask if a merchant would have a device of any sort
> - like a trademark, or shipping marks (I've worked in modern import
> trade, and can reel off shipping marks for many  department stores
> without stopping to think) but it seems that this came much later.
> Pity.
Maker's marks were period.

Stefan
--------