[Sca-cooks] Re: preserving sorrel

Gaylin Walli iasmin at comcast.net
Sat May 1 07:12:56 PDT 2004

Giano wrote:

> Can you dry sorrel? I don't know, but I kinda doubt it.

You can dry any herb. The key question is "how does it hold up after
drying"? Sorrel does not hold up in my  opinion. But you also asked:

> Alternatively, how do you make sorrel juice? I can't quite see myself
> squeezing the leaves - do you steep it? Boil it? Or is it just a
> matter of
> quantity and a good blender?

What I would do is use a good sharp knife and chop it very fine, then
mix it with a little water, and then place that mix into the cubes of
an ice cube tray and freeze it. When frozen, remove them from the ice
cube tray and pop them into a freezer-safe container. I use freezer
Ziploc bags. I do this with many many green herbs that I have an excess
of from the growing season. Placing the herbs in ice cube trays gives
me a discreet measurement as well that I can easily use in recipes.

Iasmin