[Sca-cooks] Feast at RUM

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun May 2 08:01:30 PDT 2004

Greetings.  Ragnar and Rowan, formerly of Aethelmearc and now residents of
the Midrealm, prepared a delicious two-course feast for the Royal
University of the Midrealm (RUM) in the Barony of Red Spears last night.
IIRC, the dishes were taken from Scully's _Early French Cookery_.  True to
most SCA feasts, there was at least one hitch.  About a half an hour before
they were to begin preparing the ground pork for the rissoles, they were
told that the school kitchen didn't allow them to fry anything so the meat
had to be cooked in the convection oven.

In the first course we had scrumptious rissoles of pork   The spicing of
the meat was just right.  The pastry case, where crimped, was a bit tough
and resisted my knife until the baron said to just go ahead and pick it up
in my fingers.  The cold sage chicken was lovely.  Some folk felt the
spoonful of sage mixture on top of the chicken was too strong, but it was
fine if you didn't put the whole thing alone into your mouth.  There also
was a very good salat with interesting greens and a tasty dressing.  By the
time the roast turnips came down to my half of the head table, there were
four turnip slices left to feed three of us!  I'm not that partial to
turnips, but these were good.

In the second course we had roast beef with sauces - a green sauce and a
white garlic sauce.  My favorite was the white garlic - not too "bitey" but
definitely garlic.  The sauces were firm enough to be picked up with a
knife and most of us spread them quite liberally on the beef.  The guest
next to me took three slices initially and when the plate came back for
"seconds", finished off the remaining three!  There was a torte of eggs,
cheese and herbs.  Reaction was mixed - some felt it was a bit strong but
while it definitely was herbed, it was not overwhelming for me.  And the
baked mushrooms!  Yum!  And the brussel sprouts with vinegar were really
good brussel sprouts.  The vinegar was not overpowering.  In each course
there was a tasty white bread.  I don't think it was homemade, but it
tasted like it - flavorful inside and a firm, chewy crust.

For dessert there were pears in a ginger sauce.  The ginger was just right
- present but not overpowering - a nice complement to the "quiet" pear.
The cream flans were a hit with everyone.  The baron wondered if there was
more in the kitchen, so another "pie" appeared.  We were stuffed.  I am
glad I was able to stay at the last minute for feast.  Rowan and Ragnar are
to be congratulated.

Alys Katharine