[Sca-cooks] looking for [herb] recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat May 8 20:19:09 PDT 2004

  Lady Sionnan of Concordia asked:
> I am looking for recipes in which herbs play large part in.
How about Herbolade?

 From the eggs-msg file in the Florilegium:
From: "Anne-Marie Rousseau" <acrouss at gte.net>:
> [...]
> we did pretty good :)
>
> We have done it with a more complex mix of salad greens, fresh herbs,
> etc,
> but you can’t beat the already bagged greens for ease of use and
> hygeine
> when camping in primitive conditions. Please note that while neither
> mentions onions, they  were classified as an herb in the garden lists
> and
> like of the time. If it offends, you can certainly leave them out.
>
> Herbolat: (Forme of Curye 180)
> Take persel, myntes, saverey and sauge, tansey, vervayn, clarry, rewe,
> ditayn, fenel, southernwode; hewe hem and grinde hem smale. Medle hem
> up
> with aryen. Do buttur in a trap and do the fars thereto and bake it and
> mess forth.
>
>  One Herbolace Or Two of Eggs (Menagier de Paris, p. 274)
>
> Take of dittany two leaves only, and of rue less than the half or
> naught,
> for know that it is strong and bitter; of smallage, tansey, mint, and
> sage,
> of each some four leaves or less, for each is strong; marjoram a little
> more, fennel more, parsley more still, but of porray, beets, violet
> leaves,
> spinach, lettuces and clary, as much of the one as of the others,
> until you
> have two large handfuls.  Pick them over and wash them in cold water,
> then
> dry them of all the water, and bray two heads of ginger, then put your
> herbs into the mortar two or three times and bray them with the
> ginger. And
> then have sixteen eggs well beaten together, yolks and whites, and bray
> and mix them in the mortar with the things abovesaid, then divide it
> in two
> and make two thick omelettes, which you shall fry as followeth.  First
> you
> shall heat your frying pan very well with oil, butter or such other
> fat as
> you will, and when it is very hot all over and especially towards the
> handle, mingle and spread your eggs over the pan and turn them often
> over
> and over with a flat palette, then cast good grated cheese on the top,
> and
> know that it is so done, because if you grate cheese with the herbs and
> eggs, when you come to fry your omelette, the cheese at the bottom will
> stick to the pan, and thus it befals with an egg omelette if you mix
> the
> eggs with the cheese.  Wherefore you should first put the eggs in the
> pan,
> and put the cheese on the top, and then cover the edges with eggs, and
> otherwise it will cling to the pan.  And when your herbs be cooked in
> the
> pan, cut your herbolace into a round or square and eat it not too hot

There are other similar recipes and redactions from different people.

There are also salads:
salads-msg       (144K)  3/18/03    Period salads. lettuce, greens.

The lines between herbs and leafy greens seem to have been much fuzzier
then.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas