[Sca-cooks] Sugared Orange Peel Recipe

NICKIANDME at att.net NICKIANDME at att.net
Mon May 10 09:26:07 PDT 2004

Sorry, didn't mean to be a spoon tease.  We just used the standard sugared orange peel recipe.

You all know the one - take the skins of about six oranges - Diana and I both use an orange peeler to get nice sections off our oranges. Then we save the rinds in a plastic sealed baggie in the freezer until needed. This makes it much easier to collect enough peels without -oranging- out.  We then defrosted the peels before boiling.

Bring to a boil three times, changing the water each time.  Scrape the softened pith off with a spoon from the rind.  Then slice into smaller almost match sized sticks. Then bring to a boil two cups of sugar, 1 cup of water.  To this we added about an ounce of fresh ginger - peeled, and sliced.  We ended up with about inch diameter slices and the slices were between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thickness.  This was added to the sugar mixture before it was brought to a boil.  Then we boiled the orange peel until it was translucent.  Removed from the syrup (very carefully - its very hot) and rolled in fresh sugar.  Then set to dry.  Takes about 24 hours to dry.

That's all.

Kateryn