[Sca-cooks] Central Market update

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon May 24 15:14:48 PDT 2004

>OoooOOOooooh, I have heard of Central Market by slightly homesick Texans.
>They have everything foodlike.  Varieties of cheese that most of us only
>dream of.  Well, keep us posted and best of luck with the job search.
>
>Selene Colfox

Central Market is one of those places where a foodie goes and gets
tingly all over. It's based on the European markets where every aspect
of the product is required to be of the highest quality and customer
satisfaction is required. Some examples: I bought some monkfish there
a while back. I'm used to buying monkfish, taking it home and
prepping it. But at this place the man behind the counter is a true
trained fishmonger. He took my order and in front of me trimmed and
cleaned it. Showed the proper way of removing membrane and made
sure it was exactly the way I wanted it before wrapping it and placing
the wrapped package in a bag of ice to take home.

There are pots of herbs to buy at the front door.

They sell over 50 varieties of fresh roasted coffee.
They have a full fish market, meat market, on-site bakery, wine and beer
department, a department dedicated to cheeses, tubs of every olive
imagined, a sandwich grill, a gelato stand, a full kitchen producing take
home
foods,a rotisserie, a huge flower shop, a produce department bigger than
some stores,
and a lot of smiles.

It's expensive but worth the trip.

I left the meeting at 11:00 this morning and, at 4:30 today, I got a call to
meet
with the manager of the deli and cheese department tomorrow. I guess they
liked my charm. Or maybe they just appreciated the fact that when the GM
asked
us what our dream job would be I answered, "International Hotel and
Restaurant
critic for Gourmet Magazine".

The deli doesn't sound too exciting except this area is the cheese shop
where
there are huge wheels of branded parmesiano reggiano and there is a large
cheese
cave where wheels of a hundred different cheeses are stored.

The deli case has things like parma ham, black truffles, caviars, a full
charcuterie,
etc...

They also send their "foodies" to classes on their products and do constant
updates
on the latest trends.

I'm still trying to find a computer job but I realize that I positively hate
working on
computers. I don't know what kind of wage I'd get if I got a job at CM but
sometimes
being happy in what you do is more important than having a lot of money.

Besides, most of my wasted cash goes to food anyway.

I'll keep y'all advised.

Gunthar