[Sca-cooks] Pure Gunthar ..was Fried apple pies

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon May 24 23:23:34 PDT 2004

  Gunthar commented:
 > (Just came from a two-hour "preliminary interview" with a
 > place called Central Market. A very groovy Zabar's kind of
 > place. I'll keep you up to date.)

Good luck. I think the one in Dallas is the fourth one they've opened.
Two in Austin, One in Ft. Worth and this one in Dallas. The original
one in north Austin is now about seven miles from my new house. And
yes, I've noticed that my money doesn't go as far there as at the
regular HEB. Not because the food is more expensive for the same item,
because the food prices seem to be the same for an item at both places,
but I find myself buying a lot of interesting items.

This is the place I've mentioned here before. Sometimes I wish it was
closer, but my wallet doesn't think so. A week ago I tried to make a
period dish which called for semolina flour. Unfortunately, this was
the night before the event and I couldn't get to Central Market before
they closed. I'm pretty sure they would have had it. My local HEB
didn't have semolina flour (isn't it used in pasta making? Doesn't
anyone make their own pasta anymore?), so I tried all purpose flour.
Probably a big mistake, but probably not my only one. That dish,
Khabisa with Pomegranate, was a disaster for me. Maybe next time I'll
plan ahead and get to Central Market.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas