[Sca-cooks] my summer project - Spanish Galleon

Joyce joycebre at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 26 07:27:08 PDT 2004

Greetings all,
For Fall Investiture (crowning the Prince and Princess) we're doing an
Elizabethan feast. I thought I'd take advantage of this (we don't do late
period often) to do a subtlety (or Warner - I'm not clear on the
distinction yet) of a shipwrecked Spanish Galleon.
I'm considering doing a molded construction, rather than building the ship
- my son has a large lego-like boat  that I could use for creating said
mold.  I was considering using bisket for the ship.  Is that a good idea,
or is there a better choice?
I'm using rock sugar for the reefs. I'm looking for a cookie recipe to
create sacks of spices, and I thought I'd use candied fruit for
'jewels'.  I am going to use chocolate coins, but I'm trying to keep the
rest of it as period as I can.  I'd thought of using spun (caramelized)
sugar for the rigging, and wet sugar paste for the sails.  I'm also
planning on making barnacles and shells out of butter and sugar creamed
together.
I'm building the whole thing on a blue platter that has fish embossed
around the edges, to act as the ocean.
It's kind of an ornate project, but I have all summer to get my act
together. Does anyone have opinions? ideas about what I've got so far? What
could I do better?

I'm trying not to use marzipan or nuts, because we may have people with nut
allergies, although I could put the things with nuts in them in the front
half of the ship, and leave the other half nut-free, if that's far enough
away.
Thanks for any advice/help,
Gianetta