[Sca-cooks] Virtual Cooking Contest

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri May 28 13:22:10 PDT 2004

I figure I'm not the only one not on my way to an event or family function
this weekend, although a bunch of folks are (our Kingdom A&S is this
weekend, but I'm not going for various reasons).
I thought I'd post a little game/exercise for those hanging around to see
how clever we could be.

	You are sitting at home while all your friends are off on holiday, when you
get a message from your liege that he and 3 guests will be needing your
services Sunday night for dinner.  A box of ingredients will be provided,
and you can bring whatever ingredients you can fit into a shoebox
(12"x6"x6")with you.  Utensils and equipment including serving platters will
mysteriously appear out of the ether when you need them (I know, but it's MY
virtual game :)

Box contents:
1 pound salted white fish
1 pound smoked venison sausage links
1 whole hen (plucked, head and feet still on)
3 onions
1 head cabbage
8 oz dried peas
1 bunch fresh mint
1 bunch fresh spinach
1 pound spelt flour
8 eggs
1 bottle red wine
1 pt. flat beer
2 lb. Basket of assorted fresh fruits, including apricots, cherries, &
bilberries

Here are some Saint's Days and other observances for May 30th to give you
some ideas to work with if you like:
MAY 30
King Arthur Killed in the Battle of Badon (542)
St. Walstan's Feast Day (1016) Patron Saint of Cattle and Farmers; Invoked
against Blindness, Fever, Lameness, and Palsy.  A simple farm hand in
Norfolk, England, he was so gentle that the common people believed him to be
a king.  He died praying in a field for the sick and the cattle, and those
animals brought his body to the church in town.
St. Ferdinand's Feast Day (13th Cent) Patron Saint of Engineers, Governors,
Rulers, and Magistrates.  San Fernando inherited the Kingdom of Leon from
his father, and Castile from his mother.  He took the rest by siege, and
forged the nation of Spain.
St. Joan of Arc's Feast Day (1431) Patron Saint of France and the Military.
Maid of Orleans, heard angelic voices and led the French army against the
English, she went on to crown Charles king of France. Captured by the
English, she was convicted of witchcraft and burned at the stake.
Christopher Marlow (d. 1593) Stabbed to death in a dispute over a tavern
bill.
Memorial Day* - United States - Held on May 30th, or the last Monday in May.
Started in 1866 in Columbus, MS by two women who decorated the graves of
Civil War Veterans from the Confederacy and the Union. This was seen as such
a fine gesture, that it was adopted as a yearly observance as long as a
survivor of that war remained. Since then, more wars have provided more
veterans, and the holiday persists.
Confederate Memorial Day - Virginia

	Points will be awarded for number of dishes, completeness of menu,
creativity, documentation, use of some relevant holiday info, and anything
else that strikes my fancy.  Your prizes will be the satisfaction of knowing
you have competantly served your liege in a pinch (and all the bragging
rights you care to claim for the 'winner').
	What's that?  A knock at the door?  Who could it be?  A herald!  He says my
services are required.... I better start cooking!
Good luck -
Christianna