[Sca-cooks] Feast at RUM

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun May 2 13:22:15 PDT 2004

I wrote:

>> Ragnar and Rowan, formerly of Aethelmearc and now residents of
> >the Midrealm, prepared a delicious two-course feast for the Royal
> >University of the Midrealm (RUM) in the Barony of Red Spears last night.
> >IIRC, the dishes were taken from Scully's _Early French Cookery_.

And Ranvaig asked:

> This sounds wonderful, do you know if they will post their recipes?

I've posted a message to them (I don't know if they are on any of the
cookery lists) to ask if they will be putting the recipes on a website or
if they basically used the recipes that Scully printed in his book.  Scully
includes his interpretations of many recipes in his book.  I'd forgotten to
mention the saffron rice they did.  It had a distinctive saffron taste
which _some_ of us happen to like! <g>  The butter also was made into
shapes of lambs.  Really cute!  One of the diners sent a decapitated butter
lamb head to high table which we sent back "bloodied" with Hauviette's
pomegranate sauce, commenting that even heads could still bite back.  He
then sent the back end of the lamb to head table with a comment about the
"ass of the lamb" to which our response was that anyone could see it wasn't
an ass, but the butt of a lamb.  I made a tiny bread tail, and the
go-between informed our harasser that this now was the "end of the tale".
Polite food fights!

Alys Katharine