[Sca-cooks] Devilish Derivations

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun May 2 15:53:34 PDT 2004

So do we have another category here, those things that are created and/or
named to be a counter-part to things with the 'angel' name?  Angel Food
Cake, Devil's Food Cake.  Angels/Devils on Horseback.  I looked through a
couple of books to see if I could find other examples, but didn't find
anything directly related. Looking through the the Fanny Farmer Cookbook
1896, I find a recipe for Angel's Food (separate from the recipe for Angel
Cake).  This Angel's Food is made as a whip - egg whites, powdered sugar,
whipping cream, vanilla, whip/whip/fold, "line a mould with Delmonico Ice
Cream, fill with mixture, pack in salt and ice, let stand two hours".
Escoffier has Devilled Sauce, yes on cayenne, no to mustard.  Also Angel
Hair (vermicelli).
What about other languages?  Diablo and it's variations for devil, what
about angel?
Hmmm...
Christianna

Also sprach chirhart:
>Devils food cake !   chirhart
( I know its not a dish per-say but you can put it on one )

It's a dish, it's just not deviled! If it was deviled chocolate cake,
and lacked mustard or cayenne in the seasoning (which it does...
uh... um... what was I saying again?)
Adamantius