Welcome, a birthday party- was Re: [Sca-cooks] testing what's up?

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed May 5 07:23:09 PDT 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

> > OK. How many people are you feeding,
> 10

Good- a convenient sized group.

> how adventurous are you and they as
> I'm more adventurous then them probalby, but there's a lot of difference,
> some will try anything, others are more picky. So I'm trying to find
> 'traditional' dishes that have roots in +- medeaval times.

There are quite a few of those, but Medieval people, for the most part,
thought differently than we did, so things that for us would be a
"no-brainer" just simply weren't done, as near as we can tell, from the
documentation.

> I've found references for the desert(rice in milk with safron)
> looking for a main course/main courses
> and more references then I can count for drinks :) (beer enthusiast
> friends and acces to traditional breweries are wonderfull in this regard)

OK, that's a start.

> I'm trying to find reference for Waterzooi (a thick soup of chicken/fish,
> veggies and cream/water) but haven't had much luck with that.

I doubt you will. That's one of those things that for us would be natural,
but for Medieval folks, just wasn't done- mixing meats and vegetables to
make a stew- type dish. In most of Europe, stews were made of a meat or
meats, and spices/flavor elements (such as onions). Arabs came closer, and
only the Mongols (that I've found so far), who tended to specialize in
one-pot meals, seemed to have dishes that would be what we would consider a
stew.

> > diners, how experienced a cook are you,
> pretty decent cook but not that much experience with 'historical food'

Well, historical food is just food, cooked using slightly different rules.
Not really much different than the different rules you'll find in use when
attempting to cook a different modern cuisine- for example, the strong
tendency of Chinese foods to be pre-cut by the cook into bite size pieces.