[Sca-cooks] pre-1601 sugar processing

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu May 6 07:19:02 PDT 2004

My sugar icing files on the history of sugar icing
(see Florilegium) note the following---

"Sugar would have been obtained in cones of varying weights

and quality. There were two English sugar refineries in

the 1550's; by 1650, there were at least 50 in just

London. Double refined sugar was refined sugar that was

refined again in England. "

There's a bibliography attached to the article.

Johnnae