[Sca-cooks] hurley

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu May 6 16:15:21 PDT 2004

>Anahita mentioned:
>  > Naturally there
>  > was fighting on Saturday. And on Sunday the
>  > fighters were out on the Eric again, this time
>  > playing hurley.
>
>Did you have the chirugeons standing by? How many injuries did you have?

As far as i could tell - and i was sitting in a sunshade with a view
- if there were any they were slight. The biggest problem was that
they kept hitting the ball off the Eric into people's sunshades.

The view was nice, though. A bunch of very nicely built young men
with their shirts off and their muscles rippling. Many seemed to be
wearing "plaid" pants (i think many have Viking personae or are
affiliated with Viking households). And since a Viking duke is king
yet again (i think he's been king every year i've been in the SCA -
but bear in mind we have THREE Crown tourneys), the look is pervasive
this spring.

BTW, they were using a soft ball. As for the sticks, i don't know if
they make them themselves or buy them somewhere. If my brain is
working correctly, hurley is of fairly recent popularity here. I
think it got brought back from Pennsic. I've been noticing games here
for about two years.

>There was a fad of hurley in our barony five or six years ago or so.
>Over the several months that it was being played we had more injuries
>playing this at fighter practice than we ever had from armored combat.

Well, as i hear, Western fighters are pretty tough, so i guess they
just don't get hurt easily ;-P

Anahita