[Sca-cooks] OP, but not OT - some new books

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri May 7 06:22:50 PDT 2004

This was out in the UK, but I held off --- the suitcase was getting heavy.
Going along with it was a biography also of Soyer which I found interesting.
Two 19th century chefs with two new biographies out at the same time.

The Leeds Symposium by the way had their new one available.
The English Cookery Book. Historical Essays. Edited by Eileen White.
Prospect Books. April 2004. Based on papers from the 16th Leeds Symposium.
Includes essays on language of medieval cookery; Sir Hugh Plat's Delightes,
domestic cookery and cookbooks 1575-1675; illustrations in cookbooks
1621-1820; Jarrin and his Italian Confectioner and 19th century cookbooks
besides Mrs. Beeton.

Johnnae llyn Lewis