[Sca-cooks] chili pepper in 1620 spanish painting?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 00:36:27 PDT 2004

--- Daniel Myers <edouard at medievalcookery.com>

http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/v/velazque/1620/05christ.jpg

> Does the thing in front of the bowl of fish
> look like a dried chili
> pepper to anyone else?
>
> Of course capsicums had a full 100 years to
> make their way to Spain by
> then ...
>

> - Doc

It could be, although I have to say that my
initial reaction was that it was some kind of
mushroom.  The white items could be either garlic
or some white mushroom.  They are strangely drawn
enough as to be unclear to my eyes, anyway.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.