[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP: Wazzup with "Red Velvet Cake"

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Mon May 10 13:33:07 PDT 2004

I first heard of this in college, from a friend. She was local, from
Ohio, and this had been her favorite cake throughout childhood. Her Mom
made it with *4* bottles of red dye...

And, my friend had developed an allergy to the substances used in food
coloring (coal tar, I want to say?), and anything else they were used
in. (Don't remember, at this date, what all she couldn't eat/use...
IIRC, the list was impressive.)  Which is the reason I remember her
talking about it... I was sure the cake was to blame, she was sure it
wasn't... and she said it just wasn't the same, didn't taste as good,
without the dye. Her mom would sometimes, for a treat for her, make it
with merely a single bottle, and she could eat a sliver of that, but it
wasn't as good...

So - that brings it to Northern Ohio in the sixties and seventies... I
met her in '74. Long before the internet chain letters. Don't remember
her calling it Red Velvet, though I've heard that name since - just Red
Cake. I am happy to say that, the year they were kind enough to invite
me for Thanksgiving, they did *not* have it, or anything else I would
hesitate to eat...

AEllin