[Sca-cooks] Cheesecake recipes, was: OT/OOP: Wazzup with "Red Velvet Cake"

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 12:01:53 PDT 2004

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> One thing about cream cheese cheesecakes (as
> opposed to things like
> ricotta cheesecakes) that I notice as I go
> westward from the East
> Coast (note the small sample size) is the
> almost astonishing
> whiteness of the cake. I'm not sure how this is
> achieved, but the
> classic New York cheesecake is kind of
> yellowish, or maybe
> ivory-colored, because of the eggs, I assume.
> Not yellow like an
> omelette, just distinctly off-white.
>
> Now, I figure a no-bake cheesecake would tend
> not to contain eggs
> (the salmonella thing being what it is), and I
> guess they do tend to
> contain gelatin. But how do they get baked
> cheesecakes so white? Just
> a minimal amount of egg, or no egg, or whites
> only?
>
> Adamantius

To answer your questions:

1) No, no-bake cheesecake does contain eggs.
The recipe originated long before the salmonella
thing became a problem.  Yes, it does contain
gelatin.

2) White cheesecake contains whites only.  The
egg yolks add to the ivory coloration.

Here are recipes for both.  I have made the
snow-white cheesecake and it is quite delicious.
I have not made the no-bake as I am not fond
of the no-bake flavor and it is a whole lot more
work than standard cheesecake, so why bother?

Huette

Snow-white cheesecake

1 pound cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups sour cream
4 egg whites
1 tsp confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream
cheese, vanilla, and sugar. Add the sour cream
slowly to the mixture.  Beat the egg whites until

they form soft peaks, then gradually add the
confectioners sugar and continue beating until
they form stiff peaks.  Fold the egg whites into
the cream cheese mixture.  Pour the mixture into
your favorite prepared crust, and bake for one
hour.  Allow to cool in the oven with the door
propped open.  Chill.

Classic no-bake cheesecake.

3 cups (1 1/2 pounds) cottage cheese
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs, separated
1 cup milk
1 tsp grated lemon rind
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup heavy cream

Press the cottage cheese through a sieve and
drain.  Mix the gelatin, sugar, and salt in a
saucepan, then gently beat in the egg yolks and
milk.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
constantly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in the lemon
rind, lemon juice, and vanilla into the gelatin
mixture and allow to cool.  Place the cottage
cheese in a large mixing bowl and add the cooled
gelatin mixture.  Chill, stirring occasionally
until the mixture mounds slightly when dropped
from a spoon.  Beat the egg whites until they
form soft peaks, then gradually add the sugar
and cream of tartar, beating until the whites
form stiff peaks.  Fold the whites into the
cheese mixture.  Whip the cream until it is
stiff but not dry.  Fold it into the cheese
mixture.  Pour the mixture into a prepared
crust and chill for 4 hours, or until set.

=====
shall never cease to be amused.